Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Vacuum wig help please!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Spacex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2015 at 3:42pm
Gracie - has the GP taken a swab to find out what is causing the infection? If not they should. Could it be fungal rather than bacterial? Hope it gets better soon.

xxx
Sponsored Links
False

pinkflowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkflowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2017 at 9:23am
Hi Gracie (and others!)

Just wondering if you still experience any of these problems / how long the wig made your skin sore for?
I am looking to get a vacuum wig myself soon but my main concern would be to experience the problems you have had! I currently use tape that I get rashes from and leaves my scalp red for a few days after use so am hoping a vacuum wig would not do the same.

Also does anyone have any other negatives about vacuum wigs, other than it being quite hot/sweaty and not being able to sleep in it?

From what I've the positive tend to outweigh the negatives but being so expensive want to make sure I though about everything!

K
Gracie H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gracie H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2017 at 10:05am
Yep 😥
After 18 months of much discomfort and back and fourth my GP with various failed attempts at being treated for various fungal infections I finally got referred to a dermatologist who basically said it was irritation caused but the suction part of the cap and the label part inside.
I've been given lotions and potions that keep it under control but nothing will make it go away. So just persevering really until it's time for a new wig.
Very sad as I really loved this wig but it's become so uncomfortable to wear there is no way I can get another one.

I've googled this extensively and cannot find anybody else who has had the same problem as me. So fingers crossed it would not happen to you. But I guess it is just he chance you take.

As for being hot and sweaty..... I don't find it any more so than any other wig.
Would it not be for my red raw scalp I would buy this wig for the rest of my life.
pinkflowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkflowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2017 at 9:13am
Thank you for sharing your experience but oh no that is so horrible for you! :'( do you usually have very sensitive skin? I have eczema, food allergies that cause my skin to flare and get allergies from pollen, sitting on grass, some animals, and rather clothing that isn't super soft like wool, plus sore red skin from the tape I use to secure my hair at the moment. ...... so worried I am likely to experience the same issues as you with a vacuum wig! And as they are so expensive I'm not sure if it's worth the risk although I do really want one! :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic