Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Spontaneous regrowth from A totalis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spontaneous regrowth from A totalis?
    Posted: 19/July/2016 at 11:18pm
Hi Everyone!

After 4 years of Alopecia Totalis I'm seeing some peach fuzz and diffuse patches of not-so-thin pigmented hair on the top of my head (think of the size of a hand). I haven't been under any treatment for the last 2 years so I'm really curious. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that my hair might come back, but I don't want to create false expectation for myself. 

So the questions are: if you have (or have had) alopecia totalis, have you ever had spontaneous regrowth (partial or total)? if so, what happened then? Did you relapse? How long was the regrowth process? Would you recommend anything? 

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences, thoughts and comments.
Best wishes,
Jose.
Sponsored Links
False

chistomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chistomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2016 at 11:46pm
Hi. Just read this. My alopecia started in 2000. I've lost all my hair about 5 times now. There seems to be a 3 year pattern/cycle. I'll have no hair for 3 years then it will grow back for 3 years. I've just recently lost it all again and am back wearing my wigs. I had steroid treatment, creams and minoxidil in the the very beginning back in 2000 but never had treatment since. I found once treatment had stopped it would all fall out again. Thus was distressing so just let it take its course. What will be will be.
Who knows its so unpredictable.
Jose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2016 at 1:37am
Hi Chistomo,
Thank you for your response, and sorry for not being in touch.
I can't imagine how frustrating it has been for your to go through alopecia so many times... But there must be some reason to explain that 3-year cycle! Maybe some coincide with your personal life or something like that.
In my case, my hair is still regrowing and would say that almost 40% of my scalp is covered with thick dark hair now. I shave very often so I'm not quite sure how much peach fuzz I have in other areas of my scalp. Like you, I don't know why it's regrowing but there are two things that are different from previous years: I became a father one year ago and I skipped almost the whole last English winter. I lost my hair after a very stressing situation, so it makes sense that now that I'm happy with my baby my hair is coming back, but on the other hand I don't think things are so easily related. I tend to think that it's more related to skipping last winter as this is the first time I get so much sunlight in years. Who knows...
Any way, thank you for sharing your experience. I hope your last regrowth be the last one!
Jose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic