Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Dandruff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dandruff
    Posted: 26/July/2016 at 10:06am
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I have posted anything but I do regularly check out the site.

I have dandruff in my scalp that I have to scratch out and hairs come out with the pieces, I'm not sure it's dandruff more like large pieces of dry skin.

Has anyone else experienced this and how can I get rid of this without losing any more hair.

I don't want to use harsh medicated shampoos as they will make my hair loss worse.

Alopecia has already ruined my life and that's a fact.

x
Sponsored Links
False

Sarah J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2016 at 10:40am
Hi Pummie,

I get dandruff also, but when I saw the dermatologist regarding my hair loss she decided to do patch tests which determined I'm prone to contact eczema which can easily be confused with dandruff. She gave me a list of all the ingredients to avoid in hair, skin products and even toothpastes. As I said, I do still have mild dandruff now but the itching has subsided. The only shampoo I find extremely helpful is Boot's anti dandruff sensitive shampoo and Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. She also gave me a prescription for a steroid lotion, Betnovate, that I can apply twice weekly. I hope this helps pet. Smile
xsanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2016 at 1:37pm
Hi Pummie

I am new to all of this, but I have had the same problem - with the scaly head, resembling dandruff. My GP said that it was eczema & prescribed me with a solution called Betacap & suggested that I used Oilatum shampoo - it appears to be working.

I hope that this helps :)
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2017 at 7:43pm
Hello

Shampoo help.please

I used Australian organics shampoo for fine limp hair from holland but it was discontinued by manufacturer. Then tried Dr organic vitamin e shampoo which made my scalp sore itched and my more hair fell out.

Went to GP who said my scalp was dry with dry skin and to use ketoconazole 2% but that seems to dry it out more.

I have been told simple shampoo has too many chemicals and strips the hair.

I tried L'Oréal thickening which leaves residue.

Any suggestions for shampoo that is mild and nourishes scalp gets rid of dry skin.

I am desperate x
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2017 at 7:55pm
I have tried looking for ph level shampoo without success.

Any help would be so appreciated x
SarahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2017 at 10:25pm
Hi Pummie,

The only product I’ve found that works for me is Boots Anti dandruff shampoo (sensitive), it’s very mild but does the job. 😊
I also use Betnocate scalp lotion when my hair has dried, it’s excellent and you can get it on prescription.
I hope this helps sweetheart. 👍
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2017 at 10:25am
Hi
I can't find this shampoo on their website?
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2017 at 10:25am
My scalp is very sore and painful because it's so dry
Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2017 at 4:24pm
Hi Pummie

My scalp was itchy and dry with scaly patches and my Doctor told me that it could be  contact dermatitis and I was prescribed Betacap, which seemed to help. I now use Dead Sea Spa Magik Mineral Shampoo and their Mud Scalp Conditioner and my scalp no longer gets itchy or scaly.
I hope this info. will help you.

From Francesca.
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2017 at 10:53am
Thank you

I have been given betacap solution to apply twice a day. Will there be any excess hair loss?

Alot of hair has fallen out - will that grows back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic