Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Support? Chat Rooms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xsanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support? Chat Rooms?
    Posted: 08/December/2016 at 2:34pm
I don't seem to be able to find the support that I crave & need, at the moment.

Forums are all well & good, but I need someone to chat to - someone who knows what I am talking about.

Don't get me wrong - I could chat to family, but I am the strong one, I don't want to burden them & I don't want people to listen to me & make encouraging noises.

I want to get immediate feedback & not have to wait for someone to come along, read my message & then maybe get back to me.

Where are all of the alopecia chat rooms? Surely I am not the only person who feels the need for this

HELLLPPP!!!
Sponsored Links
False

Tilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2016 at 3:12pm
Hi Xsanx

Sadly I don't think there are any chat rooms here, which is a shame. Have you looked to see if there are any support groups in your area? They might be of some help.

Tilly
virginia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virginia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2016 at 6:16pm
I understand where you are coming from, it helped me having someone in the same situation to chat too.
May be you can start a chat room, I'm sure there are lots of people who would be interested.
There are support groups around too
xsanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2016 at 8:38am
Hi Tilly,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a local support group either :/
xsanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2016 at 8:57am
Hi Virginia,

Thank you. I have tried setting up a blog - but getting it noticed is near impossible. Then I thought maybe a website - I just don't have the knowledge.

I would love to start a chat room - I just wouldn't know where to start. My ignorance is creating a barrier!!

Anyone who has any advice on how to go about setting something like this up - I would be very grateful of your help :)
BeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2016 at 10:59pm
There was a Chat Room, but it got abused by users, and became a big ask to police by the charity's volunteers.

However there are options for a more instant response, the private AUK Facebook Group.

This Forum has the advantage of topic sections, and searchable, but may not reach an instant audience.

Go to Facebook and sign up for Alopecia UK (Group) which is a private Members only see the postings, group. Postings come in one under another, but it is searchable. More likely to get quick turn around feedback.

Alopecia UK which is also on Facebook, is more like an information site, as messages are open to all to read.

Hope that helps with options available for support.

BJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic