Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

When to cut hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oliviacm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliviacm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to cut hair?
    Posted: 15/December/2016 at 7:52pm
Hiya - I'm new to this forum and to alopecia (areata) and had a question about cutting my hair!

Sadly I have had a very fast progression with my alopecia. I initially noticed it was coming out towards the end of September, and went to my doctor at the beginning of October. He noticed there was some very small, pretty unnoticeable patches at the top of my head and ruled out stress due to their appearance, and sent me to have my bloods taken. By the time the bloods had come back and I saw another GP, my hair loss had grown significantly. I was losing large quantities at the nape of my neck and towards my scalp, and a very noticeable amount at my hairline where my fringe was.

This GP told me they had suspected alopecia from the start but 'wanted me to be sure', thus delaying my referal to a derm.

By the time I saw the dermatologist (last week), I have very obvious hair loss. A very large chunk at the front by the fringe, almost all of it from the back is gone other than a small layer, my parting has five or six very large spots and there is a fist sized patch on the left of my head. The derm was shocked it had happened so fast and I was offered steroid injections on the same day, as well as being given a prescription for Dermovate.

It is making me very uncomfortable, and although it is noticeable regardless of what I do, some of it is easy to hide (I have a jaw length bob.)
However, due to the hair loss I seem to be having all over my head, it looks thin and lank all the time. It never looks clean, I can't pin or put it up, my fringe has a permenant gap in it due the loss etc.

On the one hand I feel lucky that I still have a reasonable amount of hair, but on the other it is highly distressing how awful it looks and how stressed I am all the time about hiding as much as possible.

If you buzzed your hair off, when did you do it? How did you feel? I am getting a wig soon and would love your advice. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
False

Lgregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lgregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2017 at 3:30pm
Hi I myself am going through the same thing. I've just been diagnosed with alopecia. I not really coping well. It's been a fast progression and don't know if I will lose all my hair. I've decided that at the point of when it becomes noticeable I will seek the help of a wig, which I also find really scary, friends fob it off saying at least you have your health, which I know is true but I feel I'm losing my identity and I can't stop it. I've been for my first steroid injections which I hope will help. Go with what is right for you and your confidence
daydreambeleiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daydreambeleiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2017 at 3:30pm
yes - I too have the fast progression and feel very down about it all - feel totally confused with everything
AndyWood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 5:31pm
Hi guys, like you I am suffering with this, I first started noticing hair loss about 18 months ago and to a degree it grew back but has now taken a grip and I'd say I've lost 25% of my hair on my head and have had to let my hair grow much longer than my usual grade 2, I've seen GP's, dermatologists, had bloods done and had several bottles of the steroid scalp rubs all to no avail and when I wash my hair or brush it there's always dozens of strands of hair coming out, my wife usually cuts my hair and is extremely reluctant to give me a grade 1 cut or use the clippers without a grade comb on as she says it will look awful but to be honest it's so distressing I'd rather be completely shaven as it can't be any worse than this.
I'd really appreciate any advice regarding this from anyone who's faced the same dilemma.
My wife says that if I have to have it completely shaven then I need to go to a barbers, do you agree?
Lgregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lgregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2017 at 7:16am
I think you should do what is best for you with regards to shaving your head, if it gives you confidence then go for it, I've decided that once I can't hide mine I will shave mine off and invest in a good wig, as I will then regain some control over when it all comes out, it's very distressing as you have no control over it. Look at gluten free diets and the link with hair loss I've been told I'm gluten intolerant there has been some links with hair loss and gluten also monitor alcohol intake I've read that this can effect hair loss. I'm starting my gluten free diet today I will keep you posted.
AndyWood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/January/2017 at 12:01am
Thank you for the encouraging words
HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2017 at 1:04am
keep in mind that if you have darker hair and you shave it, its still going to look bad (been there, done that) The scalp under my patches usually turns almost white, where the places that have hair are darker, even freshly shaved you can tell the difference. Last year I lost about 60% of my hair in about 3 months (no all in one place of course) plus one eyebrow and a large patch on each arm. No hiding that, I wound up shaving off the other eyebrow so that at least they would match...sort of.
Janice241 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janice241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2017 at 10:57am
I discovered a fist sized patch of baldness in November. That patch is now the size of my entire hand and I have 2 other 50p sized patches just appeared. GP diagnosed but said they could do nothing. I paid to see a dermatologist who spent time explaining things to me. There are so many unknowns with alopecia. He recommended just riding it out as treatments could work but once stopped the hair would likely fall out again. At the moment I can cover the patches as I have very long hair. I have bought some human hair extensions (about £30) which help when I go out as my hair feels as thick as it used to and I feel more like the old me. I recommend them...they are fantastic, fairly priced, easy to put in/take out, and feel great. Ive considered shaving it all off but whilst I can disguise it I'll hold off as my hair is so much part of me...its a very distressing condition and yes I have my health but unless people experience hairloss I don't think they fully understand. There are so many unknowns that it's forever a worry.
Trying to stay positive and as the days pass im learning to deal with it but it's not easy.
Whilst I wouldn't wish Alopecia upon anyone It's good to know there are people going through the same distressing condition
momo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2017 at 9:38am
Momo,

Hi suffered hair loss for 20 years now, i use fibres to cover my patches and also using minoxidil 5% twice a day which i buy from Belgravia clinic in London, only started this treatment in December after having a stressful time with kidney stones. I started to loose hair every day but now its settled and im begining to see new growth and my life is back on track. This problem that many of us suffer from can and does change your life and affects others too, no its not life threatening but it can get you down.Ive spent alot of money over these years and still am but when your women its all about looking good.
Kayjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2017 at 5:26pm
Hi I have just had my first course of steroid injections I have 3 large patches and several smaller ones. Does anyone when u have had the injections is mine were 48 hours ago is it normal to feel a tickling sensation it's not itching bad or burning just tickling. When I had a burning scalp I noticed that the areas that were burning then devloped a patch x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic