Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

what seems to work for me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what seems to work for me
    Posted: 20/January/2017 at 12:14am
So you might want to read this post first http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27822&title=experiences
if that link doesn't work, its in the experiences section, titled "experiences"

I've got alopecia areata. About a year ago I was getting desperate. I was looking for a JAK inhibitor I could afford (google  xeljanz alopecia)  if you don't understand why. I found 2 The first one is ginger.  I tried to use it topically, made my head break out, so I moved to the second one. Garcinia. You can google "garcinia jak inhibitor"  if interested.  I will leave out all the misfires here unless someone is interested. I started with 1500 mg 3 times a day for the first month, that was in August. My hair loss slowed way down in the first week. By the end of the first month I was only losing a few strands of hair per day instead of a sink clogging wad of hair. Second month I dropped the dosage to 1000 mg 3 times per day and now I'm down to 1000 mg twice a day.  Heres the tricky part, a lot of Garcinia Cambogia doesn't really have the dosage it claims to have. I've found 2 that seem to be ok. Now brand and GAT brand, I'm sure there are others, I could also tell you some of the brands you want to stay away from if interested.
   I'm almost positive that the garcinia stopped my hair from falling out, But I've been fooled before, thinking something was working and it was really just the end of the falling out cycle.
   What I'm taking with the garcinia and why. First is something called viviscal. Its a pill you take twice a day, its kind of pricey, but its like fertilizer for your hair. I was taking it a year before the garcinia, it makes your hair grow really fast. I'm getting over an inch of hair growth per month and I know its because of the viviscal. The garcinia would probably work without this stuff. But I think you would be waiting much longer for results.
   Also taking, or using I should say, nizoral shampoo (1% ketoconazole)  It seems to keep my head from itching, I still have some 2%, but the 1% seems to work just as well, and its cheaper.
   Biotin, 5000 mcg, reason should be obvious.
  Thats it. after a few months of screw ups, I settled on this in August and had less than 50% of my hair left (not to mention missing hair in other places), end of August I was seeing some regrowth in a few places and today I am very close to going out in public without a hat for the first time in a long time.  Maybe another month or so, so about 7 months for total regrowth.
  What I hope is that someone will say, "yeah, I'll give that a shot" and then report back their results, that way I know I'm either on to something good, or its just another coincidence.
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
False

HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/January/2017 at 12:26am
~edit~ viviscal is over the counter, close to the Nizoral shampoo. You could probably buy it online as well. Just to clarify in case someone was wondering.

HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2017 at 4:24am
190 views, surely someone is trying this? So the other day I started losing an eyebrow, same one that just grew back in. lol My instinct was to reach for the stuff the doctor gave me. The propionate stuff, instead I increased the dosage of the garcinia back to 1500mg 3 x day. Itching seems to have stopped and I still have half an eyebrow. lol 
HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/February/2017 at 3:54am
No holes in my head! lol Still had some areas that have no color though, so today I bought some "just for men" hair color thats supposed to cover gray hair.  You have to leave it on a lot longer than it says, but tonight it looks pretty good. Tomorrow I may even go out without a hat, first time in about 8 yrs! Fingers crossed that this keeps working !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic