Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Wig Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wig Advice
    Posted: 20/May/2017 at 9:53am
Hi,

Its been a long time since I was last on hee, but I'm sure the help and advice will be as good as it always was.

My daughter has had AU since primary school and is now in her twenties. We have always used Freedom wigs for her which were a godsend whilst she was going through school and University. At the time we could just afford them, but now having been made redundant in my mid-fifties and struggling because of age to find similar employment, and with my daughter just finishing Uni our finances have somewhat changed. We can possibly stretch to one more Freedom or a repair to an older freedom, but realistically realise we are going to have to look at alternative options. I am guessing that the quality of wigs has moved on somewhat as it is a number of years since I last visited. When we started out on our wig search we tried Trendco in London who provided excellent service but the wigs just did not last and proved more expensive given the initial cost and lifespan compared to the Freedom, which whilst more expensive up front had a much longer lifespan and looked more realistic. I admit that was 10+ years ago so as above things may have changed. We also used Raoul who provided exceptional service and a good quality wig but it did not offer the security we required at the time i.e. needed taping to the head.

What I would like to know is are there any real alternatives to the Freedom wigs & if not are there any wigs that "fit and stick" to the had with some security but also have the durability as well? I would take any recommendations or advice that we can follow up on. We are based in the South East of England so London is our obvious destination but happy to travel for the right solution.

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
False

Jaye-London View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaye-London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2017 at 10:44am
Hi Danno - long time no 'see'!

Sorry to hear about your redundancy.  Hard to believe your daughter is in finishing uni already... how time flies!

I've not kept up-to-date with suppliers and developments as I'm very happy with the wigs I get from Gali Wigs... but they are a very different construction to what your daughter is used to.  Maybe she would consider having different types of wigs to wear and not limit herself to the vacuum wigs?  As you know, there are always pros and cons... the disadvantage is that the security isn't the same (still secure, but different)... but an advantage is that wigs are made fast, in NW London and can be tweaked, repaired etc very quickly on-site, without the need to send to send back to NZ... and then wait 6 months whilst they get around to your wig (as I've read on another recent post here).

Depends on how active your daughter is and whether she wears her wigs ALL the time, or could perhaps switch to a non-vacuum wig when less active... thus extending the life of her Freedom wigs?  The thing about living with alopecia is that things change... it stretches and pulls our emotions and how we handle every day.  But that's a good thing in a way.... as it teaches us to deal with whatever life throws at us (redundancy) and that, no matter what, we learn and cope and grow and adapt.  It's good to be stretched, so that we face our anxieties and learn that the fears are in our minds and we can overcome more than we'd ever imagine.

For me, whilst it took a long time, I'm happy to be out in the back garden without any head covering... or I'll answer the front door without hair or hat on.  Very comfortable (physically and psychologically) to be on holiday without hair (too hot!)... and don't worry much whether or not people look at my hair and wonder if it's a wig.  If anyone asks (I can't remember when that last happened outside of an AUK meeting),  I'll tell them I'm wearing a wig.  It's just not a big issue any more.  However, I'm not so comfortable as to walk around my local area without hair or hat on.

I'm still wearing my original Gali wig that I bought in 2009 and it still looks great after 7+ years!! It has had a couple of little repairs and could do with some more TLC soon, but incredible value to last so long. 

Best wishes,
Jaye

gillmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gillmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2017 at 9:10pm
Hi
I wear freedom wigs and would feel lost if something happened that I could not have one.
I was lucky as I paid my old supplier monthly direct debit.
I also managed to get funding from a government scheme called Accss to Work as I am a frontline nurse and personally would not feel safe at work in a non vacuum wig. Therefore they gave me funding and my nurse manager had to also put some money towards it and I made up the rest. So my first freedom I paid for and my second was partially funded. If this makes sense?
I would ask your freedom rep if they would accept direct debit.
But to be honest I don't know what else s out there as I,ve been wearing freedom for 6 yrs now .
I think I know how you feel as I am glad it is me and nit my daughter who has AU. As a parent you just want to do all you can for your children.
Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic