News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to this Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to this Forum
    Posted: 14/September/2017 at 2:13pm
I have just joined this Forum and want to connect with others on here.
I was diagnosed with Alopecia back in November 2015. My hairdresser made me aware of this and advised me to go and see my Doctor. I have a small round patch on my crown, which originally was about the size of a fifty pence piece. Although it has got slightly larger after this amount of time my hair is not growing back.
My Doctor did blood tests and when received back, advised me that it was probably down to my age ( I have gone through the Menopause) or stress ( My Mother had passed away earlier that year).
I know my symptoms are not as severe as some people have, but it has knocked my confidence somewhat when out in public. After reading many messages on here, I have decided to go back to my Doctor's to see if he can refer me to a Dermatologist, who hopefully can give me some advice or information on this. I don't know if my hair will grow back or not, but I feel relieved at having found this Forum and being able to communicate with other people who understand.
I have my Doctor's appointment tomorrow, so hopefully I will feel more confident/positive about my Alopecia.

Sponsored Links
False

Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2017 at 9:22pm
Hello there.
Just a quick update.
I saw my Doctor today and was told there was nothing in my blood test results to give the reason for my hair loss. He is going to refer me to a Dermatologist, but said they may not be able to do much.
I am not sure what to expect when I go to the Dermatologist, whether my hair will grow back or not or whether it is hereditary. All I really want to feel is that I can be in control of this situation and feel more confident.
I will keep in touch.
Francesca.
Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2017 at 3:42pm
Hello there.
Thought I would  update my situation.
I had my first appointment with a Dermatologist on Monday. First he wanted to know when my hair loss started and also asked me about my family history and if my hair loss could be hereditary. He then went on to examine my scalp.  I then had a biopsy done on my scalp (which I was a bit nervous about), but it was not as bad as I thought. I now have to wait 3/4 weeks for the result. He also said that the hair may not grow back, which I had been thinking along the same track, so not too surprised there.
I was given a prescription for Mometasone furoate 0.1% w/w ointment and to use this once a day for 6 weeks. If anyone has experience of using this could they let me know, as I am not sure what to expect. I am feeling a bit more confident now that I have seen someone and hope the result of the biopsy will help me to understand this condition more.
I will keep you posted.
Francesca.

textaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote textaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2017 at 10:35pm
Hi Francesca 🙂,
Glad you are feeling better since going to the dermatologist.
Can we ever control this disease?....
In my opinion , no, but we can stop it getting the better of us.
Hope you get some sort of answers when you get results 🤞.
All the best,

Sarah x
Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/November/2017 at 2:30pm
Hi Sarah,
thank you for your reply.
Just being able to be in touch with people like yourself, who are going through similar symptoms and roller coaster emotions that this causes is a great help. I have made my mind up that I will not let this get the better of me. 
Will keep in touch.   

Francesca. x
 Post Reply Post Reply